Sunday, March 29, 2020

Dayton, Ohio AKA Residency Year

It only took about...6-7 months later than planned to get scrolled and commissioned as a Captain in the USAF. It took so long that I was unable to go to Commissioned Officer Training (COT) and had to just go straight to my duty station, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. I had no idea what any of the ranks were, what military was like, and I definitely didn't have a uniform or a way on base.



Everything got figured out, eventually :)


But, to be fair, it was a very steep learning curve.
(I ended up going to COT a year and a half after it was planned, so it worked out).

Residency included three major rotations
-Outpatient Mental Health (6 months)
-Clinical Health Psychology (4 months)
-Neuropsychology (2 months)

There were other "minor" rotations too-- Aerospace Psychology, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment Program, Family Advocacy Program, etc. 

We also completed didactic training (weekly), peer supervision (weekly), supervision (weekly), had case presentations (weekly), Morbidity and Mortality case presentations (monthly, I think?), journal clubs (weekly), and a whole host of things that resulted in an excessively busy year.

Make no mistake, I was SUPER nervous to meet everyone. We had a group chat going on all summer, but when it was finally time to meet everyone, I almost backed out cause I was so scared.

My first meeting with these two wonderful women and clinical psychology residents.
The year started with me as the Chief Resident. So I had no idea about military AND I was the leader of all the residents. It worked out, mainly because I was with an amazing group of residents.
The Chief Resident gets a crown. It was later expanded on and additional Chief Residents got a cape and other fancy items too!
Capt Marco, Pagano, Gargurevich, Krunnfusz, Baer, and Rashid.
When we got there we were welcomed by the graduating class of psychology residents, and we played ultimate Frisbee with them! Luckily that tradition didn't continue with us, because I'm TERRIBLE at ultimate Frisbee.


And then there was a "goodbye and welcome" party hosted by the retired Director of the Clinical Psychology Program.






And our residency class also made time for bonfires and wonderful chats.





The first part of my year (6 months) was outpatient therapy. I became competent in the three evidence-based therapies for PTSD, in addition to seeing people for other DSM-5 diagnoses.




Also, as part of being in the military service, you have to adhere to fitness standards. I prepped for this all summer (grad school does not exactly build muscles), and was good to go. 

We took time to explore Dayton, Ohio and some of the awesome hiking trails around the area

I took my parents to the Air Force Museum. This was the first time we had lived close to each other in 6 years so it was awesome to have them ONLY 8 hours away!

I presented a case to our entire flight (around 100 people) about a patient I had who was at high risk for death (Morbidity and Mortality Conference).  We also had had Journal Club and Case Conference Presentations-- I think we had to each present 4-6 for each type over the course of the year).

I was also finally able to travel to Michigan to see my family! It had been years since I saw them and it was amazing to get together. 

I also participated in the Air Force Marathon! We ran the 10k. I'd never run anything more than a 5k, so I scheduled a massage for right after, which definitely helped haha. 



We also took time to get away over long weekends- like going to Niagara Falls in Canada! 


During the eclipse, we were able to go up on the roof of the Medical Group and see it (while wearing the appropriate eye gear :)) 

Always a fun Friday night with this crew (despite what Pagano's face says haha)

At Halloween we decided to be a bunch of bananas, and Pagano dressed up as a monkey. 

During the holidays I went home to see family and friends-- and my "second parents" Dr. Robin Harris and Dr. Don Harris! She was my sociology professor when I was completing my Bachelor's degree and we have kept in close contact over the years. They are some of my favorite people in the world.

Oliver always loves coming to my parent's home...and eating the plants.



Slightly after Christmas time, I hosted a Christmas/New Year party and we did a present exchange.

And then for my birthday Andi made me a SNICKERS CAKE full of love and, of course, SNICKERS.

Oliver loves presents.
Yoga for my birthday with these wonderful ladies!
We also hosted the psychology candidates for the incoming class of psychology residents in Jan. That's Maj Banning, one of my favorite supervisors as part of the neuro rotation. 

Andi and I traveled to the Windy City-- her husband lives there and he showed us around and introduced me to the joy/horror of Chicago-style deep dish pizza.

In the spring, Capt Marco and I created a program called "Mind Over Muscle" as a way to help Airmen mentally prepare for and cope with the PT test. We did a loooot of presentations for it.

As a group, we also presented about resiliency to NASIC (National Air & Space Intelligence Center) and got coined after!

As a Wolf-Pack, we also tried to take time to relax too :) 


After outpatient mental health, Andi and I went into Clinical Health Psychology for 4 months. That means we presented about diabetes management, making small, meaningful changes to help with weight loss, worked with individuals with fibromyalgia, chronic pain, etc. This was a lively, and also fast-paced rotation. 

Here's our supervisor, Dr. Broeckl. She honestly really helped me with the transition to Dyess AFB.

In March, my brother got married and so did my cousin! I was able to take some time away to celebrate both of them, which was wonderful.

The 7 hour trip to get to my brother (from Ohio to South Lake Tahoe) instead took nearly 24 hours, which was miserable. But everything else was great!

At the wedding rehearsal dinner :) 

We are all dressed up for the big day!
 

Hooray!


I love photobooths


And then two weeks later, I flew to Arizona to see my cousin get married.

After that I was able to see my grad school best friends, Euo and Matt! They live in Arizona , so that just made it even more special.
Euo and Matt married years ago and they were expecting their first child!
After such a great March, Andi and I transitioned into our final rotation, Neuro! (2 months)

Over a long 4-day weekend we all also participated in a program called TAPS, Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors. This program offers help, hope, and healing to all those grieving the death of a loved one serving in America's Armed Forces. I was matched with a boy who had autism, and we had a very busy weekend. He had a ton of energy..!


Neuro was one of my favorite rotations. Not only do I love assessments, I loved my supervisor's Tesla. And he let me drive a LOT... while giving me supervision about my clinical cases.

One weekend I tried aerial silks with the Wolf-Pack (aka clinical psychology residents)...I wasn't bad, but I also haven't done it since lol

During this time, we found out my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a really tough adjustment.

So the kitties and I went to go see her and my dad in Tennessee for a weekend. 
Nothing like kitty cuddles
And this was our Air BnB :) 

Toward the end of the year(ish), I also had surgery on my leg. A large vein had collapsed, causing other veins to bulge out. I was lucky 1) to have a Col complete the procedure 2) they gave me Valium and 3) it was considered out-patient! I was able to return to work pretty quickly, but it took a bit to get  my full strength back. 

Got some extra snuggles while I healed.

Toward the middle of spring, we learned of all the possible placement sites for us following the end of the year. There were SO many places and it took us weeks to rack and stack them all. I told the universe I would be happy with any site in my top 15...and I got my 15th choice, Dyess AFB.

Toward the end of the year our residency class won a wing level award for small team of the quarter. It had never happened before, and we were proud to represent!

We were also able to attend a TDY (business trip) where we went to a Sports Psychology Conference. The time with people was the best part to it all, because unfortunately the conference was geared toward people seeing up their own practice, which was not our interest. 

I took time to see a couple of waterfalls in the nearby area before I left- I love waterfalls!
After that, I got orders to Dyess, and my friends got orders to their respective bases...and then we graduated! It flew by really quickly.
All the women in the clinical psychology program ended up cutting their hair haha. Buns were painful and bad for my hair!
My dad came to my graduation. In case it's not obvious, I'm really not big on walking across a stage-- I didn't do it for my Master's degree, or my PhD...and I would have skipped this too but it was mandatory! My dad was glad it was mandatory- he's been a huge supporter of my work, so it was great closure for him. 

....And then I was done with all the requirements for my residency program, my PhD program, and it was time to move to Abilene, Texas and get licensed!


No comments:

Post a Comment